Sunday, October 7, 2007

Encounter Assignment 2: Verbal Art

I was lucky enough to have grown up in a family where my dad used to be a stand-up comedian. Since I can remember, I have been told countless jokes and been immersed in exaggerated facial and body experessions. As I think about it, that is probably why I am like what I consider myself to be today. Growing up with my father has really taught me the importance of humor and the importance of "performing" it well to an audience, whoever it may be.
One of my favorite jokes that I ever heard my dad tell me was learned by me about three years ago. It involved a hillbilly from the middle of the ruralist of areas in Kentucky and decides to finally take a break from whatever he does in his life and go on a vacation. The joke begins with a Kentuckyian man with an EXTREMELY exaggerated and thick southern accent talking to his buddy. He says, "Man, I'm so excited 'cause I finally saved up enough money to go on my DREEEEEAM vacation. And I decided what I'm gonna do... I'm gonna fly over to Spain. Thing is, I kinda nervous 'cause I dont speak the language, so I don't know what I'm gonna do." His buddy with him replies, "Oh man, thats ok. They speak spanish over there so you just go and talk.....really......slow....... and you'll be fine." So the original guy says, "OK." So the Kentuckyian flies over to Spain, checks into is hotel, goes down to the bar and says, "I.....would.....like....a.........beer." Another man at the bar as well looks over at him and says, "Where......are.....you.......from.......?" He replies, "I......am........from......Kentucky......." The guy sitting claims, "I.....am......from........Kentucky...........too.......!" Puzzled, the original man asks, "Well,.......if........you........are........from......Kentucky..........and.........I........am.........from......Kentucky.......then......why.....are.......we.......speaking.........spanish?"
I have to admit that a great deal of the humor in this joke is conveyed through the acual performance of the joke. One of the elements that makes this joke particularly funny to someone from southern Indiana is the sort of rivalry that Indiana has with Kentucky. I do not however understand it. I assume that the main character's identity could be replaced with a Hoosier, a man from South Carolina, Virginia, Alabama, or anywhere where there is a population of people that have a southern draw.
I asked my dad the context in which whis joke was told to him, and he said that he was actually at a business dinner with his wife, a client of his, and her husband at the Velagio in Las Vegas, Nevada. They happened to be talking about traveling at the time, and dad's client told the joke as a result. To me, it seems that a joke would be completely appropriate in this type of environment because although business is being conducted, I feel that it would help the sales person and their client(s) to develop a business relationship on a more personal level. Once you get to know the people you are doing business with, business transactions could be done in a more comfortably for parties on both sides of the sale. The atmosphere when jokes are present is typically more relaxed.
I am not sure as to how old or new the joke is, but I do know that it has to have come about in the past 50 or so years because of the plane aspect of the joke. However, this joke contains many elements that could be modified such as using a plane to travel to Spain rather than a boat. This joke is also not very well known (at least to my knowledge) because for every person I have told it to, and there have been many, nobody has heard it before. I do however feel that it has the potential to be a classic, though.

2 comments:

Jason Baird Jackson said...

Thanks. Voice is a big factor in joke telling, obviously. Its hard to do a joke like this in print.

annie! said...

hey there! just wanted to let you know i commented on your post!
seeeya tomorrow!
annie b.